Monday, February 8, 2010

Great Lent 2010

Yesterday was the Sunday of the Last Judgment (Judgment Sunday for short), also called "Meatfare Sunday," because we say "farewell Meat!" Great Lent is about to begin.

To be frank, I am not ready. I don't want to do this.

Which means that I should do it all the more! Like a workout we are tempted to skip or a project we are dreading to complete, sometimes the best thing to do – the only thing to do – is put your head down and barrel through all the hesitation, frustration, doubt, and temptation to procrastinate.

That's the way the liturgy works sometimes, I think. We don't understand the richness of what the church offers us, but we do it anyways in the hope that understanding, and often even the desire, will come later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true. I guess this is the essence of faith. Trust, demonstrated with action. The "feelings" or confirmation come later. I've never been disappointed when I've pushed through. I never say, "Gee. I wish I hadn't done that." I, without fail, end up saying, "I'm SO glad I did that." God is good.

"...A good understanding have all those who do His commandments..." Psalm 111:10