Friday, March 27, 2009

Great Lent is Hard!

Great Lent is supposed to be "easy." We find it hard because our lives are too complicated.

Of course, our lives are complicated, so Lent is hard.

Lent is hard because my children are high-energy. The thought of managing high-energy kids makes me not want to take them to church. I can't really pay attention anyways.

Lent is hard because we work. Stephanie works for "the man." Being an academic, I can be more flexible with my schedule, which is just another way of saying that she works long hours to meet her deadlines, while I help out more here, miss my deadlines, and scramble later to get my work done. Prayer is the first thing to drop off when things get hectic.

Lent is hard because it's so cool. I'm glad my Protestant and Catholic friends give things up for Lent. My Lent is less cool. Self-denial isn't exactly the point (at least not in the same way). This makes Lent hard to talk about.

Lent is hard because I'm really, really tired.

Lent is hard because on nights when I've not been able to get dinner ready ahead of time (see above), it's not like I can just pick something up at Sonic.

I've been reflecting on this post for several days. Letting it sit. Trying to figure out something profound to say at the end of it. Frankly, I've got nothing. The best I can come up with (and it's a lousy answer) is that maybe I've got to think of the difficulty of Lent as a cross to bear. I know that's a really cheap thing to say! It cheapens the cross! When Jesus said, "take up your cross" he wasn't talking about all the busy-ness of life. He was talking about martyrdom.

But I am not a martyr. I am just a busy Christian, and not a very good one at that! So if the only thing I can do to orient my busy-ness Godward is to think of it as a kind of Via Dolorosa...well, that's all I can do. Forgive me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am a Church of England Deacon, preparing for my priesting in June. I understand that that may be a difficult concept for you, but I am also a Mum and a Grandma.
For the last few years I have prepared Psscha Bread for my congregation for the great celebration on Easter Eve. I prepare it with love for the congregation and prayers asking God's blessings on all who will attend the church over Easter. It is an act of love.
This year should have been different as I have a new congrgation in innercity Middlesbrough in the North of England, but as I am sick I will be returning to my sending parish and once again I will make the Pasha Bread for them; maybe next year in my new congregation. I want to thank you for the recipes and let you know that it is going global and reminding us that God's love spreads throughout the world, no matter what our denomination. Thank you and may God bless you all
Judy Cook

David J. Dunn, PhD said...

Judy! First of all thanks for reminding me that I posted the basic ingredients for Pascha bread on this blog. I wasn't sure which recipe I used last year (the bread turned out very well, by the way). Second, I actually do understand. I can only think of about two theological reasons not to allow women's ordination, none of them very good. (There are a few more practical reasons, which are easy for me to say, right?) Thanks for the very kind comment!