Thursday, March 5, 2009

George's Post

This morning George said he wanted to write a post about what he thought about the Presanctified Liturgy last night. He can't type yet, so he's dictating to me. I will use his vocabulary, occasionally explaining his meaning in brackets.

"Last night Daddy picked me up from daycare and took me home. I helped Kyla clean her room. Then I helped Daddy help Kyla with her homework. He would check her reading and I would throw a ball to him.

Then it was time to go pick up Mama from work. She took a long time coming out. I thought I saw her a few times, and, I have to admit, I got pretty upset when I thought I saw her walking away. Then Mama got in the car and we drove to church.

On the way in I saw Fr. Bob blow out the candle [lighting the vigil lamps]. My Daddy had to go potty, but I wouldn't let him go by himself. I went in with him. I tried to get really close to the action, but Daddy kept pushing me away.

Then some people started singing. Daddy brought me and Kyla some colors [coloring books and crayons]. I turned to a page with a doggy on it, scribbled for a few seconds, and announced I was done. Daddy asked if I wanted to color some more. I said No. Then I began exploring our row.

A little later Daddy kept telling Kyla not to talk so loud. He kept saying, 'Whisper, whisper.' Then he took her coloring book away to punish her for not being quiet. That's when Kyla got REALLY loud. Daddy had to take her out of church with his hand over her mouth. She looked a little like my Jaff [Giraffe]. His neck doesn't have any stuffing left, so he bends over backwards a lot.

Naturally, I got upset when I saw Daddy leaving. So I started screaming too. Daddy saw me after he got done talking to Kyla. Then we all went back into church.

I still didn't want to color. I found a little stand with about four Jesuses [icons] on it. The walls in church slant in. So there was room behind it for me to hide. I started hiding from Daddy. It was funny! But Daddy didn't seem to want to play.

Then I discovered that the stand made noise when you kicked it! It was so loud and funny! Daddy wanted to play after that! He chased me for a little bit.

When he put me back in the row I decided to push Jaff through one of the seats, walk around the row, pick it up, and do it again. Then I started walking around, doing circles, in the middle of the church. Daddy says we aren't supposed to play there because that's where the altar is. But I did it anyway.

After a while, just pushing Jaff through the chair wasn't fun. It's more fun to throw him. I threw Jaff so far! He landed at the feet of the lady behind us. When Daddy went to get it, I decided to play chase again. A strange man with glasses tried to pick me up, but I ran away. Daddy caught me and put me back in our row. I stayed there for a minute, then threw Jaff again.

Daddy took me to the back of the church after this. He called it the Narthex. I thought it was kind of neat. First I tried to play with the sand that held the candles. Then I tried to walk up the stairs a few times. Then I hit the wall.

Daddy looked tired. He tried to show me a few icons, but I wasn't interested. I told him who Jesus and Mary were just to humor him. Sometimes I call Jesus Mary, just to mess with him.

I decided a few times that I wanted to go back in church, but Daddy wouldn't let me. Meanie!

When we went back into church Daddy told me it was almost time for Eucharist.

Then Kyla said she really had to go to the bathroom.

After I took Eucharist I wanted to get the bread that the big kids always hold in the bowls. But there was none! 'BREAD! BREAD!' I screamed.

Daddy took me in the back again. But I wanted Mama, too! So I screamed louder! Mommy didn't hear me. Daddy took me back into church and Mama held me.

Then church was done. We went to have supper. Daddy got me a plate of sketti [spaghetti], fruit, bread, and peanut butter and jelly. I took a bite of the sketti and said I didn't like it. (I really do like it, but I wanted to mess with him). Mama gave me some milk. Then I took a couple bites of the sandwich. I'd never had peanut butter before, but I decided I didn't want that either. I ripped the bread in half and licked the butter a little. Daddy kept trying to get me to eat the fruit salad. He wanted me to try something he called a 'Mango.' But I knew I wouldn't like it, so I refused. Then daddy got me some lemonade (I had finished my milk). I drank that too. I said I wanted down, but Mama and Daddy weren't done yet. So Mama gave me a piece of chocolate. Success! My plan worked!

I don't remember much of what happened after that. I have some scattered memories of being put into the crib and helped out of my coat. I do remember crying at night. I had a very wet diaper! All the lemonade I guess. Daddy mumbled something about '1:00 in the morning'. He wasn't in a good mood. But I got some milk. I won't go back to sleep without milk. Good thing too! Because I was so hungry!"

No comments: