Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Holy Unction

I just got back from the service of Holy Unction, where the priest blesses oil, and anoints the faithful, making the sign of the cross on their palms and forehead. The Sacrament of Holy Unction is meant to heal and purify the soul and the body.

Stephanie has the next five days off, and because she is doing the jobs of two-and-a-half people right now (and trying to take care of things before leaving work), she has been working a lot, and I have spent a lot of time flying solo. She wasn't able to make it to the service tonight. Fortunately the kids were wonderful.

George was a little fussy at first, but then he fell asleep and I was able to put him down on my jacket. Kyla was also tired, but she was very "mature" during the service.

Naturally, I was preoccupied with the children, so I couldn't pay as much attention as I might have liked. The service is comprised mostly of a series of Epistle and Gospel readings. At the end, as we approached to receive the oil, the deacons placed the gospel upon our heads, as a sign of the hand of God upon us.

I like the thought of being "touched" by God. Back in my days as a Nazarene that had a very specific meaning. It referred to a kind of heart-warming, spine-tingling experience at the prayer bench. It was a spiritual touch. Spiritual touches are great, I'm sure. But I'm thankful that something getting plopped down upon my head is just as spiritual a touch as any heart-warming experience. It reminds me that, though God is Spirit, God is not opposed to the physical (unless we are Manichean). God touches us through holy things, like the Gospel, and seemingly mundane things made holy, like wine and oil.

No comments: